My mom gave me this recipe and she got it from her mom. But in the corner of the paper that the recipe was written on were the word's “Dorothy's recipe”. You see, in the south, recipe's are passed down for generations. At least the great one's and this pound cake is too die for. I modified it just a little because I like the taste of more cream in the cake.
It is important that the eggs and butter be at room temperature before you start. Like most goodies I bake, I highly recommend you use organic products.
- 2 sticks (1 cup) butter at room temperature
- 3 cups white sugar
- 6 large eggs at room temperature
- 3 cups all purpose flour (sifted)
- 1/2 tsp salt (sift with the flour)
- 1 cup heavy cream (the original recipe calls for 1/2 cup but I like it better with 1 cup.
- 2 tsp vanilla flavoring
- 1 tsp almond flavoring
- Palm fruit oil or other vegetable shortening for prepping the pan
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and precoat a 10″ tube pan with the palm oil or other vegetable shortening.
- Beat the butter in a large mixing bowl with a professional mixer or electric hand mixer for 1-2 minutes until creamy.
- Add the sugar gradually on medium low speed. Once incorporated, increase the speed to medium for another minute.
- Reduce the speed to low and add one egg at a time until incorporated. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula as needed.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour and cream until combined, starting and ending with the flour.
- Add the vanilla and the almond flavoring. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Fill the prepared pan with the batter, smooth the top with a spatula, and do your best not to lick the beaters or the bowl (probably not gonna happen).
- Bake 75-80 minutes until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remember that the cake continues to cook some after removing it from the oven and overcooking can dry it out.
- Let the pan cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes, loosen the sides of the cake with a knife, turn it over and gently shake it to remove it from the pan. Place it on the wire rack and let it cool for 1 hour before eating (no one waits that long in my house, (especially my wife). ENJOY.